Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter question/recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Starter question/recommendations

    My problem is a typical fairly common one, I think, for cars with high compression engines. The car starts find when cold. However, when hot the starter The starter is affected by heat sink and has trouble rotating the engine, thus rendering the car hard to start. The solenoid "clicks" mimicking a dead/dying battery. The starter is affected by “heat sink”. Battery and electrical system checks out, so I’ve narrowed the problem to the starter.

    The engine is a stroked & bored 440 block (496 in3) with an estimated compression Ratio of 11.0:1 - 11.4:1. Exhaust system is TTI headers 1 7/8" dia tubes. Starter in use is a Denso style "mini" OEM Chrysler unit.

    I’ve done some research and indications from that research say I should use a gear reduction starter with at least 200 lbs/ft torque and that handles engines of 11.0:1 or greater.

    My question is what high performance starters do others use on their rides that have engines similar to mine? Powermaster XS brand starters are one. Are there any others?
    Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
    Member & webmaster,Mopar Club San Diego
    http://www.moparclubsandiego.org

  • #2
    I'd get a Mopar Performance mini starter, terminal relocators, and starter wrap from Wes Sher at Mancinni Racing. Tell him I sent you and that you're a MoparWeb.com member - he might sharpen his pencil off retail. the combination of being further away from exhaust and a wrap will eliminate most of the heat soaking.
    1. Tips on using MoparWeb Best Click Here
    2. Before you log off, click the Groups link in Navbar to see what's going over there
    3. 100% Free Classified Ad web site run by the Old Hippie Click Here
    4. Check out a random article on MoparWiki https://www.moparwiki.com/index.php?...Special:Random
    5. The help link is full-featured and not a joke. Use it if you have a problem

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm still using a junk yard starter from a Dakota. Been 20 years and so far no problem.
      I also have a 496 with 13 compression and Brodix B-1 heads.

      Comment


      • #4
        Mine is also 20 odd years old and starters do wear out... The starter had been used on my race engine that had 11.4:1 compression.

        Neglected to mention in my original post that the battery is in the trunk. What I've done so far ...

        In an effort to improve on the grounding I've added a double ought ground from the battery to the frame. Under the hood I moved the ground wire from engine to fender well to engine to k-frame. If that doesn't improve the situation I'll be installing a new starter.

        Thanks for your comments BK and bigblock_doc
        Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
        Member & webmaster,Mopar Club San Diego
        http://www.moparclubsandiego.org

        Comment


        • #5
          Do not neglect the obvious of a bad battery. Had this same issue with my car thinking I had a started issue . As it turns out my battery was on it's way out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Shorty Thompson View Post
            Do not neglect the obvious of a bad battery. Had this same issue with my car thinking I had a started issue . As it turns out my battery was on it's way out.
            Point taken. I did voltage checks over a 7 day period and the battery's voltage held steady at 12.5-12.8 volts.
            Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
            Member & webmaster,Mopar Club San Diego
            http://www.moparclubsandiego.org

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by zij576ca View Post

              Point taken. I did voltage checks over a 7 day period and the battery's voltage held steady at 12.5-12.8 volts.
              You probably already have , but I have to ask any. Did you throw a load on it/them and retest right afterwards? My battery test good too. but the parts man did and it showed a bad battery.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Shorty Thompson View Post

                You probably already have , but I have to ask any. Did you throw a load on it/them and retest right afterwards? My battery test good too. but the parts man did and it showed a bad battery.
                Interesting that you mention that. My brother, a retired mechanic of 35+ years, also suggested that. Haven't done it as I don't have the requisite tool. Something I should/will do before spending money on a starter.
                Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                Member & webmaster,Mopar Club San Diego
                http://www.moparclubsandiego.org

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by zij576ca View Post

                  Interesting that you mention that. My brother, a retired mechanic of 35+ years, also suggested that. Haven't done it as I don't have the requisite tool. Something I should/will do before spending money on a starter.
                  Simple test actually. Charge your battery full. Get a battery tester like this 1. Run a load on it . If it shows your battery's good , then I'd wait 5 minutes and let the tester cool, then hit it again without recharging and see what it says. Now then ! My daily driver would show something was wrong but still start the car, but ! if I didn't run any accessories, by the time I got home it seemed fine. Don't be fooled like I was.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Shorty Thompson View Post

                    Simple test actually. Charge your battery full. Get a battery tester like this 1. Run a load on it . If it shows your battery's good , then I'd wait 5 minutes and let the tester cool, then hit it again without recharging and see what it says. Now then ! My daily driver would show something was wrong but still start the car, but ! if I didn't run any accessories, by the time I got home it seemed fine. Don't be fooled like I was.

                    ]
                    Thanks for the tip, Shorty. Battery tester/Volt meter like you show - $30 from Amazon. I'll buy one and post the results.

                    Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                    Member & webmaster,Mopar Club San Diego
                    http://www.moparclubsandiego.org

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...y-testing.html Try the link. Don't know if you can buy online ,,,,,, but you can give it a try. Cheaper is always better.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X