Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday August 23 Devo

"Claimed in Heaven"

Luke 10:20 “However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

Jesus said this to the disciples upon their return from preaching and performing miracles. They had felt God’s hand upon their life and saw God’s great power at work. Now, imagine the accomplishment of igniting a campfire with two pieces of wood for the first time as a child and immediately your father douses it with a bucket of water. This was probably how the disciples felt when Jesus said this to them. Jesus understood the fine line that His disciples had to walk in becoming God’s conduits for His life, power, and work. Jesus did not want their focus to be on self, but rather on the kingdom of God. In John 14:10-12 Jesus said, “The words I say to you are not just My own. Rather, it is the Father, living in Me, who is doing His work. Believe Me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.” This is how Jesus balanced God’s power in His life. Jesus wanted them to understand that the real power of being a follower of Christ was not in miracles, transformation, and miraculous ministry, but rather living in the realization that real power is in God’s life in each believer as well as having your name written in heaven.

Many Christians begin their Christian walk in righteousness but end in sin. I would think Judas the betrayer began with a desire to know and follow Jesus, but somewhere along the path it became about him and not Jesus. Luke 16:10 teaches how sin usually begins small, but increasingly grows: “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.” “Who will miss a dollar with all the money they have?” “Or $2?” “Or even $5?” “Forgive 77 times 7.” “But why forgive him when he started it?” “Why shouldn’t I have done that to him after the way he treated me?” There is never room for justifying un-Godly behavior. Usually if you must ask the question whether it is right or wrong or have doubts, you know it is wrong. Allow the Holy Spirit’s presence in you to grow rather than training yourself to minimize Him.

Jesus immediately followed Luke 10:20 by saying in Luke 10:21: “At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.” Power and knowledge create self-sufficiency, while childlike faith produces dependency while experiencing God. The person’s faith who Jesus marveled at most was the centurion in Matthew 8:10 who just believed, Truly I tell you I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.” At some point in each person’s faith walk they must come to accept that their name is written in heaven, and that they just must believe and walk by faith. Your life cannot be about right and wrong, but about placing your faith in Jesus. Your faith cannot be about receiving but knowing that you are a child of the creator of the universe. Your willingness to follow cannot be contingent upon all your questions being answered, but by merely knowing that God is God and that through faith and Lordship you will someday accompany Him in heaven, because your name is written in heaven!

Luke 10:22-24 "’All things have been committed to Me by My Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him.’ Then He turned to His disciples and said privately, ‘Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. For I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.’"

************************************************** *****************************

Growing in Christ Devotions

Working...
X