Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devo for June 14

continued from yesterday........

4. Psalm 59: I feel overwhelmed and need God’s defense.

When my heart feels offended, I sometimes feel the need to defend myself. But this psalm reminds us that God is our defender. We don’t always need to have the last word or share every thought that goes through our heads. Often the best thing we can do is simply tell God all about it.
    I love this psalm when I feel overwhelmed because it expresses the cry of my heart in the beginning and ends with praise to the Lord. It’s a strong reminder that sometimes the hard things that consume my heart and mind are the very things that lead me to the feet of Jesus.
    “But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love” (Psalm 59:16-17).

5. Psalm 60: I feel overwhelmed and need God’s help.

Help! When life gets full and my heart can’t speak, this is the only word that I can manage to utter in prayer. But Psalm 60 fills in the blanks for me when my words are lacking. Sometimes we think if we pray just right, then God will answer. But when we turn to God with a sincere heart, the words aren’t so much the key as is the heart. And I’m so thankful God is my help.
    “Oh, grant us help against the foe, for vain is the salvation of man! With God we shall do valiantly; it is he who will tread down our foes” (Psalm 60:11-12)
    6. Psalm 61: I feel overwhelmed and need God’s answer.

Have you ever made a promise to God? I’ve tried to make deals with Him by promising to do this or that if He would just answer my prayer. But I’m learning more important than hearing an answer is abiding with God day by day. Though my prayers might not be answered right away and my heart might feel overwhelmed, it does not mean God is not near or not listening. It simply means God has a different or a better plan. Here are a couple verses to pray when you are waiting for God’s answer that remind the heart to wait and praise in the presence of God.
    “Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings! Selah” (Psalm 61:4).
    “So will I ever sing praises to your name, as I perform my vows day after day” (Psalm 61:8).

7. Psalm 62: I feel overwhelmed and need God’s strength.

Overwhelm often leads me to feel weary. I get tired. Tired of waiting. Tired of wanting. Tired of praying. Tired of the daily grind of trying to do right. Just downright tired. Maybe you’ve been there too. Psalm 62 is a beautiful expression for a tired, overwhelmed soul. It’s the battle cry my heart needs to cry when I know I need to turn to the Lord, but I can’t come up with the words myself. It’s reminds me where my strength comes from.
    “For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation” (Psalm 62:1).
    “For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God” (Psalm 62:5-7).

If you are feeling overwhelmed, I hope you’ll choose a psalm and pour out your prayer to God today. You don’t have to wait for church or rely on someone else to communicate with God for you. You have free access through the blood of Jesus to communicate with your heavenly father. While we walk this road of life, there are sure to be circumstances that will cause us to feel overwhelmed, but you don’t have to live overwhelmed. Let Jesus lighten the load (1 Peter 5:7).

Micah Maddox is a women’s event speaker, Bible teacher, and author of Anchored In: Experience a Power-Full Life in a Problem-Filled World.

Working...
X