Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday May 17 Devo

God’s Word Applies to You Too

The Israelites were told: “don’t take the shiny stuff” (my paraphrase).

This was not a difficult
    to understand command. Give the gold to God. Leave the silver alone. All that glitters is banned from your houses, and if it does go into your houses bad things will happen. “You will make the camp of Israel liable to destruction and bring trouble on it” (Joshua 6:18).

Joshua did a great job of
    communicating the will of the Lord is a stern and clear way before the battle of Jericho. Someone took silver and gold for themselves anyway. I suppose we are right to wonder what Achan was thinking. Come on man, didn’t you just hear about how that exact action will lead to destruction? Yeah, he heard. He put the pricy stuff in his pockets anyway. We know Achan knew it was wrong because he hid the items. His explanation was basically “I wanted them.” I suspect that explanation didn’t sit well with the families of the thir-ty-six men who died as a result of his actions.

And perhaps this action really was just impulse con
    trol. More likely Achan thought God’s warnings really didn’t apply to him. “When such a person hears the words of this oath and they invoke a blessing on themselves thinking, ‘I will be safe, even though I persist in going my own way,’ they will bring disaster on the watered land as well as the dry” (Deuteronomy 29:19). If Achan really thought he would be stoned to death, and that the army would lose a battle because of his actions, then he wouldn’t have done it. Maybe he’s so cold he doesn’t care about other people dying but gold doesn’t matter much to you when you’re dead. Cleary Achan invoked a blessing on himself, believing that he would be safe even if he took what belonged to the Lord. And, just as promised, it resulted in disaster for him and for plenty of other people too.

My friends, God clearly warns us that the only way to life is to listen to and follow Jesus Christ. This warning gets ignored as people live in whatever way they see fit. What are we thinking? That we will be fine even as we reject the salvation that God has provided for us? I’ve heard people laugh about the fact they aren’t living for God. They are not concerned. But I can promise this people can only believe they will be fine until they aren’t. When destruction arrives the chances are up. So here’s my suggestion don’t believe God’s Word doesn’t apply to you. Treasure His Word so you may receive a blessing from God. That means so much more than blessings we invoke upon ourselves.

Camden Ave Church of Christ
Working...
X