The Work of God’s Fingers

I have been fascinated with space ever since I was a kid. Call me a nerd if you must, I just can’t hide my sense of wonder when I consider all that God has made. I still remember being introduced to the planets in grade school. After the first lesson I ended up heading to the library to get everything they had on space so I could binge read planet books. If I remember right the teacher ended up letting me teach a class on one of the planets. The nerdiness was (is?) indeed great. However, before you judge too harshly don’t forget that David was amazed by the same thing. He once said “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?” (Psalm 8:3-4).

Can you picture God shaping a planet or a star with His fingers?

I mean . . . I’m a
little proud of myself when I make something that slightly resembles a horse out of Play-Doh. That’s the limit of what I can make with my fingers, but God designs galaxies containing billions of stars! He definitely wins all the art contests. I become a little sad when Atheists and Agnostics try and capture the wonder of space for their own purposes. There’s a message out there that goes something like “you don’t need God to satisfy your sense of wonder, just look at the stars.” How sad to try and separate the creation from the creator! Instead of being a distraction FROM God the stars and planets should point us TO the one God who made it all. What is in your heart when you consider the heavens?

What goes through your
mind when you look at the moon and the stars? My prayer is that your heart and mind turn toward God. I pray you are compelled to give God glory. Don’t make the mistake of looking at the work of God’s fingers and not coming to the obvious conclusion that God is great. When the people of the past failed to give God glory for these things “their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened” (Romans 1:21).

So yes, I love space. I always have. But what I love most about space is the lights of the heavens point me to the light of God. Give God praise if that’s also true for you.

Camden Ave Church of Christ